Influential food blog The Daily Meal has curated a list of the world’s best hostels in an unexpected category: their food offerings.
In their list of top 20 food hostels, standard fare like burgers and chicken nuggets are replaced with regional specialities like maple whiskey mousse in Vermont, organic oatmeal and fruits in San Francisco, and an assortment of Moroccan breads and locally harvested honeys in Marrakech.
The hostel with the best food in the world meanwhile, can apparently be found in Granada, Spain, where food is central to the stay.
When backpackers arrive at the Oasis Hostel, for instance, they’re greeted with a complmentary drink. Breakfast is free, as are tapas tours that take guests on guided tours of the best bars in the city.
Esencia Nativa hostel in El Salvador was given nods for welcoming guests with fresh fruit smoothies and for its restaurant that overlooks the ocean and serves everything from typical Salvadorian breakfasts and freshly caught seafood to homemade pizzas and veggie burgers with homemade hummus.
Here’s the full list of the Top 20 hostels in the world for their food:
1. Oasis Hostel in Granada, Spain
2. Esencia Nativa hostel in El Salvador
3. Villa Salis Hostel in Sète, France
4. La Hamaca Hostel in Honduras
5. Ostinatto Hostel in Buenos Aires
6. Be Hostels in Barcelona
7. Malabar Farm in Ohio
8. Menaggio youth Hostel on Lake Como, Italy
9. Hostel Tevere in Vermont
10. Hostel Pangea in Costa Rica
11. Mosquito Hostel, Krakow, Poland
12. Canadian Backpackers Inn, Toronto
13. Green Tortoise Hostel, San Francisco
14. Villa Saint Exupéry, Nice, France
15. Osa Mariposa in Oaxaca, Mexico
16. Hostel Nari-Nari in Marrakech
17. Betel Box in Singapore
18. Oasis Hostel in Lisbon, Portugal
19. Kex Hostel, Iceland
20. PLUS Berlin Hostel